New Windows 10 Audio Category, no HDMI audio / no mini display audio Fix

A collection of random how to articles that I've compiled. The sky is the limit.
southhawkct
Site Admin

New Windows 10 Audio Category, no HDMI audio / no mini display audio Fix

Post by southhawkct »

So i just tested this on not one but 2 laptops running Win 10 pro v1703 (lenovo T420 and a microsoft surface). Both laptops were hibernating, and woken up, logged into and then plugged into a projector. Video output was fine for both but there was no audio coming though the projector, only on the laptop's internal speakers there was sound. When going into the windows "Sound" Control Panel, the other digital output device (for the projector) was there but it was Flagged as "unplugged" by the Operating System so that you could not select it.

Not sure if this new Audio Category "Audio inputs and Outputs" within the windows 10 "Computer Management" (or just new to win version 1703). Typically there was only the "Sound, Video and came controllers" Category. I just triple checked on my windows 7 Virtual machine....windows 7 only had the "Sound, Video and came controllers" Category as well. I tried installing newer updated video card drivers for the T420's NVS 4200M from Nvidia. That did not work... Randomly i rebooted the Surface without the hdmi cable connected and reconnected the cable after reboot, then the digital output showed up in the other Audio Category "Audio inputs and Outputs" (prior only the internal sound card was listed in this category). And now it works! As a test, i connected the T420 to HDMI and rebooted while connected. Logged in, and magically this one worked as well after a reboot. Hopefully this helps someone out there... REBOOT ... lol the magical fix!
:roll: :lol:
---
South Hawk Computing LLC Owner :ugeek:
Any advice / recommendations given on this forum should ONLY be preformed at the user's own risk. South Hawk LLC does not offer any guarantees or warranties when a user attempts to try these fixes on their own. We are NOT responsible for any damages that may or may not occur to your devices. :geek: