Installed rear backup camera on a 2011 Jeep Compass

A collection of random how to articles that I've compiled. The sky is the limit.
southhawkct
Site Admin

Installed rear backup camera on a 2011 Jeep Compass

Post by southhawkct »

Disclaimer! Warning this is to be used as a guide and I will not be held responsible if anything goes wrong or you break anything. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Last weekend i installed a rear backup camera on my Avic-x910BT head unit. Over all the install was normal except for rubber housing that connected the tailgate to the car's frame. I had to use a coat hanger with a hook at the end of it to push the camera video and power wires though.
I got the camera for $20! Thanks Ebay!
Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Camera 150° Viewing Angle
This will work with the following models: AVIC-F900BT, AVIC-F700BT, AVIC-X910BT, AVIC-X710BT, AVIC-F90BT & AVIX-F7010BT
It took about 3 hours.

here are the results.

---
South Hawk Computing LLC Owner :ugeek:
Any advice / recommendations given on this forum should ONLY be preformed at the user's own risk. South Hawk LLC does not offer any guarantees or warranties when a user attempts to try these fixes on their own. We are NOT responsible for any damages that may or may not occur to your devices. :geek:

2011Jeep

Re: Installed rear backup camera on a 2011 Jeep Compass

Post by 2011Jeep »

Is the guide still available? I was thinking of putting a backup camera on a 2011 Compass as well and would appreciate the help.
southhawkct
Site Admin

Post by southhawkct »

Hey there. Lets see, what i can recall from memory...it's been a while...
1) You have to remove the internal panel cover from the tail gate.
2) Once removed, i think there was 2 screws holding the small body panel part that is attached to the gate (the part that i mounted the camera too). I had to put a notch that piece too so i could snake the camera's cables though it (and so that the part will be flush with the car again once i reinstall it.
3) Mount the camera onto that part you removed.
4) reinstall the that body panel part but be sure to put the wires though first.
5) run the power & video cables from the back to the front of the car. I found that running the cables though the grommet tube that connects the tailgate to the body of the car was a PITA. I had to attach the power/video cables to a piece of thin metal (like a metal clothes hanger for example) to snake it though the grommet. From there i ran the cable along the drive side inside the vehicle where the carpet meets the plastic side panel. Tucking the cable in there can get a little painful. From there i went up into the dashboard, snaked it though until i got to the radio head unit area.
6) From there i connected the camera's power to the car's 12v Ignition Switch power source and NOT the car's constant Battery Power +12v source. This way the camera only turns on when the car is on.
7) Connect the video cable to the reverse camera hookup on your aftermarket radio.
8) make sure you have the "reverse" wire connected on your aftermarket radio. This tells the radio when you put the car in reverse and it knows to switch on the video feed to the backup camera.

PHEW hope that helps! :shock: :D
---
Any advice / recommendations given on this forum should ONLY be preformed at the user's own risk. South Hawk LLC does not offer any guarantees or warranties when a user attempts to try these fixes on their own. We are NOT responsible for any damages that may or may not occur to your devices. :geek:
2011Jeep

Post by 2011Jeep »

Thank you very much for your time, the reply and helpful information. It is indeed helpful and I really appreciate it.
southhawkct
Site Admin

Post by southhawkct »

you're welcome! 8-)
---